Journal Articles in the Humanities:
1. “Goethe's Theory of Color and Scientific Intuition," American Journal of Physics 44, pp. 327-333 (1977).
2. “The Two Lights," The
3. “Facts as Theory: Aspects of Goethe's Philosophy of Science," Columbia Teachers College Record, 85 (Winter 1983), pp. 251-74; and in Goethe and the Sciences: A Reappraisal, F. Amrine, F. Zucker and H. Wheeler, editors (Reidel, Boston, 1986).
4. “The Wearer of Shapes: Goethe's Study of Clouds and Weather," Orion Nature Quarterly. Winter 1984. Reprinted in 1986 The Golden Blade.
5. “Computer Pedagogy? Questions Concerning
the New Educational Technology,"
6. “The Geometry of Life: Towards a Science of Form," Orion Nature Quarterly, Winter 1985, pp. 48-59. A discussion of attempts to capture the forms of life in mathematics, especially recent work in projective geometry.
7. “The Earth's Many-Colored Mantle," Orion Nature Quarterly. Winter 1985. On the cultural and scientific history of rainbows, lightning and the aurora.
8. “Light and Cognition: The Imperatives of
Science," in Gaia 2: Emergence, the Science of Becoming, edited by
William IrwinThompson, papers from the conference "Biology as a Basis of
9. “Science Within an Ecology of Mind: Alternatives in Educational Reform," Holistic Education Review, September 1992.
10. “New Wine in What Kind of Wineskins? Metaphysics and Science in the 21st Century," in New Metaphysical Foundations of Modern Science, edited by Willis Harman and Jane Clark (Institute of Noetic Sciences, 1994).
Technology: Bringing a New Consciousness to Our Technological Future,"
lecture for the E. F. Schumacher Society, 1997. Published in Annals of Earth
(1998) and by Schumacher Society as booklet (http://www.smallisbeautiful.org/frameset_publication.ht
12. "Goethe and the Phenomenological Investigation of Consciousness," proceedings from the 1998 conference "Toward a Science of Consciousness III," eds. S. Hammeroff, A. Kaszniak, and D. Chalmers (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1999)
13. “Molding the Self, The Common Cognitive Sources of Science and Religion” in Education as Transformation, edited by Victor H. Kazanjian, Jr. and Peter L. Laurence (NY:Peter Lang, 2000), pp 59-68.
14. “Spirituality in Higher Education: Overcoming the Divide,” Liberal Education, (Journal of the American Association of Colleges and Universities) Winter 2003, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 50-58.
of the Transformative and Spiritual Dimensions of Higher Education”
and Knowledge: Recovering the Heart of Learning Through
and Spirituality: Finding the Right Map,” book chapter in Integrative
Learning and Action: a Call to Wholeness, edited by Susan M. Awbrey,
18. “Human Endogenous Development,” Moving
Worldviews: Reshaping sciences, policies and practices for endogenous
sustainable development eds.
19. “What he can teach us about the brain,” Times
Higher Education Supplement,
21. "From Scientific Imagination to Ethical Insight: The Necessity of Personal Experience in Moral Agency," included in the volume Social Justice Education, eds Kathleen Skubikowski, Catharine Wright, and Roman Graf (Sterling, Virginia: Stylus, 2010) pp. 56-69.
Selected Physics Articles
Re-considered,” Optics and Photonics News, vol. 3, no. 1 (October
2003) pp. 2-5.
“Delayed-choice experiments in quantum interference," Physical Review A35, pp. 2532-41 (1987) with T. Hellmuth, W. Schleich, and H. Walther. (pdf)
“Differential cross section for electron impact excitation of metastable helium measured by the atomic-time-of-flight method," J. Phys. B.: Atom. Molec.Phys. 10, L43-467 (1977). ( pdf )